The Aadhar card is an identity card that stores a unique identification number, also known as the Aadhar number. It is a twelve-digit number allotted by the government of India to every citizen.
The Aadhar Card is managed by the UDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) which operates under the Planning Commission of India.
This particular identification card is an initiative to enclose/include all other forms of identification into one single card. This includes all documental as well as biometric and demographical information of the respective individual.
However, this current system will not replace the existing forms of identity. It will in-fact link every essential requirement, such as mobile number, bank account and PAN Card with the Aadhar Card Number.
Citizens can therefore use one single card for any official identification purpose in the country.
How to link Aadhar Card to your bank account
Firstly, the person is advised to keep his/her communication address and mobile number updated with the bank’s database. There are four ways to link one’s bank account to the Aadhar Card which we’ll discuss here with reference to different banks of the country.
Link Aadhar Card Via SMS
- There is an SMS based process offered by Axis bank that helps in the linking of the Aadhar number with one’s bank account.
- First type your Aadhar number <space> AC <space> the last six digits of your bank account number. For example 110034567891 AC 245314.
- Send the SMS to 5676782.
- Axis Bank will notify the user once the process is rendered successfully.
- For more information visit their website where the process is elaborated.
Link Aadhaar Card Via ATM
- SBI users can link their bank accounts via ATM machines.
- Go to your nearest SBI ATM machine and swipe your card.
- Select ‘service-registrations’ from the menu.
- Select ‘Aadhar Registration’ from the following list.
- Select the account type, such as ‘Savings Account’.
- Then simply enter your Aadhar number after having been asked by the machine.
- One will need to complete the process by re-entering the Aadhar number once again.
- For any inquiry or assistance simply visit SBI’s official website where they have put out the notice and process of linking cards with the bank account.
Link your Adhar Card through mobile App
- ICICI has provided a mobile app for simplifying banking processes as well as providing facilities for linking the Aadhar card with bank accounts.
- iMobile is the name of ICICI’s mobile app.
- Access the app using the internet banking ID and password or simply by using the ATM pin.
- Select ‘services’ from the menu.
- Then select ‘Instabanking Services’
- You will find the option ‘Update Aadhar’. Click.
- Enter your Aadhar number and press ‘confirm’ to complete the process.
Link your Aadhar card through Net Banking
- HDFC bank provides facilities for linking the Aadhar number with one’s bank account.
- First login to HDFC’s internet banking service portal.
- Select the ‘request’ option and click on ‘View/Update Aadhar Number’ option.
- Select the type of account and enter your twelve digit Aadhar number.
- You’ll have to re-enter the number for confirming.
- Finally click on ‘update’ and the process is complete.
How to link Aadhar Card to your phone number
- Dial 14546 and select the preferred language.
- The process includes several regional languages, including Hindi and English.
- Select your citizenship from the two options, Indian National and NRI.
- For confirming press 1 and proceed.
- Enter your Aadhar Card number and press 1 to confirm again.
- An OTP will be sent to your respective mobile device.
- After having received the OTP enter your mobile number.
- Provide your consent for the center to fetch your photo, date of birth and name.
- After having confirmed your identity the last four digits of your number will be mentioned.
- If it is correct the person can use the OTP that he/she received via text message.
- Finally press 1 and confirm the verification process.
- One can continue to link more numbers by pressing 2 and following the former described process.
There is an offline way to link the Aadhar card with one’s phone number as well. The person can go visit his/her concerned telecom operator and provide the Aadhar Card’s details.
The executives present will have the details verified and link the number right away. The verification process will however be complete only after a finger print scan. So, one will need to use his/her card during the process too.
Linking Aadhar Card to your PAN Card
One can link the Aadhar number with his/her PAN Card at the Income Tax Department Website.
- First register yourself in the website’s e-filing portal, incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- Use your login ID, date of birth and password to access the portal.
- Select ‘Profile Settings’ from the upper toolbar of the webpage.
- A pop-up menu will appear. Select the last option from the list ‘Link Aadhaar’.
- Fill in your respective details in accordance to both the Aadhaar card and Pan Card.
- Enter your Aadhar Number correctly.
- Click the ‘Link Aadhar’ option and the process will digitally get rendered.
- Users will soon be notified about the result and the linking process will be complete.
Documents required for Aadhar Card
One will need to provide a document for identity and a document for residential information. Birth certificates, driving license, PAN card, banking statement and Permanent Residence Certificate will be applicable for the process. The other biometric requirements (finger-print and iris scanning) will be rendered through machines on-spot.